If you’re wondering how to make the best cold brew coffee at home, you’ve come to the right place. It’s super simple and very pleasing to the palette – not watery or bitter.
Cold brew is actually different than iced coffee – which is brewed double strength with heat, then cooled and served over ice. Cold brew coffee is steeped in water for a long period of time and never heated – producing a sweet, smooth cup with less acidity.
Basically, it’s all about good water, great coffee and adequate steep time. You don’t need special equipment or the skills of a barista – but we do suggest utilizing our Cold Brew Blend which was specifically created for this exact purpose.
Two of the easiest ways to DIY – use an 8 cup French press or a big ol’ half-gallon size mason jar. If you plan to use a jar, you will need a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
If you’re starting with whole beans, you’ll need to grind them very coarsely. When you order our Cold Brew Blend, we’ll grind it for you – just select French Press/Cold Brew as the option.
- In a French press or mason jar, add 2 cups of ground coffee.
- Add 4 cups of clean, filtered water and stir to combine.
- For the French press, place the top on but don’t press down on the plunger. For the jar, cover with a lid.
- Leave coffee on the counter to steep for a minimum of 12 hours – up to 24 hours.
- Plunge the coffee or strain and transfer cold brew to a clean jar with lid and place in fridge.
- When ready to use, serve over ice or use your favorite dairy to make a latte. Remember, what you have is concentrate so it will need to be cut with ice, water or milk (dairy or non-dairy).
JL Quick Tip
For a 100% undiluted experience, use your cold brew to make coffee ice cubes – a really nice addition when turning your cold brew into a latte.